The new Electro-Harmonix Mainframe Bit Crusher will wrap around your guitar tone to make it sound a bit like an ’80s arcade game soundtrack. If you’ve ever wanted to get Donkey Kong or Pac Man style sounds out of your guitar, this pedal should help get you there.
This new EHX Mainframe pedal conjures up the era of Pac Man and reminds me of my old Commodore 64 and the SID chip-style tunes that have come back in vogue in recent years. The pedal can crush your samples and bit rates from 48kHz to 110Hz and 24-bit to 1-bit. All of which will make your guitar sound ever so ’80s and arcade machine-like. It also has a handy High/Low/Band-Pass filter section, so you can mess with your signal even further, and shape the artifacts leftover in the signal, after all that bit crushing and sample rate decimation.
The Mainframe also has a Sample Rate Tuning Mode which allows you to adjust the sample rate to match the key of your song. You can set it to continually adjust the sample rate based on what you are playing, as well.
It has programmable presets to save your sounds, and you can use it with an expression pedal to control any combination of the Mainframe’s controls. There is also a set of Secondary knob parameters with which you can fine-tune the Mainframe’s effect.
The pedal comes with a high quality buffered bypass and silent switching, so should work well on most pedalboard setups. The Mainframe comes with a standard EHX 9.6DC200mA power supply in the box.
You can hear it in action in the official demo video below.
Electro-Harmonix Mainframe Bit CrusherBuzz. Beep and bloop. We’re high on the lo-fi sounds of “old-school” games, toys and terminals and the EHX Mainframe Bit Crusher takes us back in time to when Pac Man and Donkey Kong ruled the arcades, to when the Commodore 64 was high tech.
All instruments (guitar, bass, drum track, drum machine, and synth) have all been run through the Mainframe during the video
Learn more: http://www.ehx.com/mainframe
• Sample Rate Reduction ranging from 48kHz to 110Hz
• Bit Depth Reduction ranging from 24-bit to 1-bit
• Selectable High/Low/Band-Pass filter to shape the artifacts of the bit crushing and sample rate reduction
• Sample Rate Tuning Mode allows you to set the sample rate to match the key of a song, or continually adjust the sample rate to based on what you play on your instrument
• Programmable preset or expression pedal setting allows you to save your sound or control any combination of the Mainframe’s knobs with an external expression pedal
• Secondary knob parameters allow you to fine-tune the Mainframe’s effect.
• High quality buffered bypass and silent switching
• Comes equipped with an Electro-Harmonix 9.6DC-200mA PSU
Credit: Gear News